The firm opened in September 1945 in Lexington, North Carolina as an independent affiliate of the Frank P. Buck Company, a CPA firm located in Salisbury, North Carolina. W.H. Turlington started the firm in one room located in a second floor office on Main Street in Lexington. The new accounting firm consisted of one table (no desk), one chair, and one typist. Mr. Turlington, the holder of CPA Certificate # 619 issued by the North Carolina State Board of Accountancy, grew the firm quickly and added two professionals during the first year.
In the early years, the firm’s main focus was on client tax preparation and consulting. Mr. Turlington was spending approximately 50% of his time on tax consulting, especially with local dairy farmers, and the remaining time running the office. Mr. Turlington instilled a conservative, common sense approach to client relationships. He built client relationships by providing sound advice without getting overly complicated and aggressive. Consequently, the firm grew quickly. By the end of 1955 Turlington and Company, L.L.P. had grown to include six accountants.
Also in 1955, Mr. Turlington changed the name to Turlington and Company, L.L.P., which is still utilized today. In addition to the name change, the firm began offering new services. Audit and accounting services became a staple of the firm’s services in its early years. In addition, new services have been added throughout the years to meet the demand generated by new laws, regulation, and a changing world.
Throughout its sixty-five year history, Turlington and Company, L.L.P. has maintained the philosophy of its original owner. Turlington and Company, L.L.P. was created by building long lasting client relationships, which is still the practice of the firm today. Turlington and Company, L.L.P. still builds client relationships based on a common sense approach to accounting. These lasting client relationships are the backbone of the company’s history and the future as well.