Fraud can creep into your business in a number of ways. According to the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) 2012 Report to the Nations, it is estimated that the typical organization loses 5% of revenue to fraud each year. You may find you need an objective expert to deter potential problems, investigate allegations or provide resolution. Turlington and Company, L.L.P. has two Certified Fraud Examiners on staff.
A Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) offers anti-fraud knowledge and skills you need to:
- Investigate allegations against one of your employees
- Assess the fraud risks faced by your organization
- Recommend and implement strong anti-fraud controls
- Conduct interviews related to sensitive issues
- Provide assistance with financial dispute resolution
- Resolve irregularities discovered during your company’s audit
- Provide expert testimony on financial and investigative matters
- Fraud Risk Assessment and Prevention
CFE’s must meet the ACFE’s character, experience, and education requirements for the CFE credential, and demonstrate knowledge in four areas critical to the fight against fraud: Fraudulent Financial Transactions, Fraud Prevention and Deterrence, Legal Elements of Fraud, and Fraud Investigation.
CFE’s adhere to the Code of Professional Ethics which requires the following:
- Commitment to professionalism
- Diligence in performance of assignments
- Avoidance of conflicts of interest
- Testifying truthfully and without bias
- Maintaining confidentiality
- Revealing all material matters discovered during an examination
- Continued effort to increase the competence and effectiveness of professional services
For more information about our firm’s fraud examination services, please contact Bill Farris, CPA, CFE or David Huneycutt, CPA, CFE at (336) 249-6856.
David Huneycutt, CPA, CFE
NC Certificate #:32990
David is a Senior Manager in our Lexington, NC office under the supervision of Bill Farris. He focuses mainly on the telecommunications industry where he provides audit, tax, and consulting services. Other clients include various non-profit agencies and small businesses where he provides tax, forensic accounting, and consulting services.
David is a licensed Certified Public Accountant in North Carolina and Certified Fraud Examiner.He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), the North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants (NCACPA), and the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE).
David graduated from Appalachian State University with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration – Accounting. He has served on numerous boards of local non-profit organizations within the community and is currently the Treasurer for Davidson Medical Ministries Clinic and Lexington Swim Club. David also serves as a member of the finance committee at First Baptist Church, where he is a member along with his wife Julie and two daughters, Lauren and Rachel.